Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bridge Number Four

Today was a gift – a blue sky, sunny gift of a day.  After a couple weeks without cycling, we ventured out to explore another part of the trail we rode on our first day with our bicycles – the Foothills Trail.  Last time we rode over one bridge on our ride; this time J wanted to ride over three.



With Mt. Rainier huge and white in the distance, we started in Orting, heading out of town and along the Carbon River.  Another couple, older and fully geared out with jerseys, bike shorts, and clip-on pedals left just ahead of us.  They looked much more experienced than me in my workout pants and tennis shoes.

There were people on the trail of all ages, experience levels, shapes, and sizes.  Little kids on their miniature bikes, parents towing toddlers in trailers, people on recumbent bikes and trikes, and us.  We maneuvered through them all – the kids wobbling all over the trail, and the speeding road cyclists coming at us at what seemed like 40 mph.

We rode past the cows, along the river, across the first bridge, then into the trees and past the emu – quickly getting to new ground.  The purple wildflowers were in bloom, and we could smell skunk cabbage. 



We rode along a creek, and passed over a second bridge.  This one looked like it used to be a railroad bridge, trestle and all.  I still don’t know what the best way to maneuver these is when I’m behind  slow/stopping pedestrians, and other cyclists are speeding toward me.  I just slow waaay down, and wait until it’s completely clear to pass.



Soon we saw a turnoff with a barbecue next to a picnic table, and pulled off at the stop created by REI at the halfway point of the trail. I walked out to the end of the paved walkway, and the creek spread out to my left and right.  A lone duck paddled toward me (the sign said it was a wood duck).  It let me take its picture, then flew off down the creek.



We continued along the path, which followed the creek.  We saw the geared up couple heading back already.  I saw the woman get on her bike and she wobbled and didn't look confident getting started - much like me a few weeks ago.  You just can't tell by looking at people whether they're truly experienced or not.  I find that reassuring.

The path met up with the river again for a while, and we rode over a third bridge, then bridge number four.  We rode a little longer, but soon turned around, not wanting to leave too little in the tank for the return trip.



Turns out we didn’t need to be worried about being too tired to get back because it’s mostly a very slight decline going that direction – we sped back, I finally got to use my higher gears, and I loved the feel of speeding along on my own power.  On the straightaways I swerved back and forth and felt like a kid.

We maneuvered our way through the families, kids, pedestrians and dogs on leashes when we got closer to town, then reached the truck.  Not sure how far we rode, but we made it over four bridges this time – three more than last time.

On our way out of town we stopped for a dipped cone (the ultimate reward).  FYI - in Orting, they're almost twice as expensive as normal.  Still worth it!

1 comment:

  1. What no talk of my mad BMX skills? Whoopdeedoo's and sweet jumps FTW!

    ReplyDelete