Sunday, May 15, 2011

Gearing Up

On Friday we were warned that it would be sunny for most of the day Saturday, then it would start to rain again.  So when we saw how nice it was yesterday, we headed out for another ride - this time to someplace new to us, the Soos Creek Trail in Kent.



The trail began in a wooded area with lots of small hills.  I wasn't used to using my gears as much as I needed to in order to gain speed on the downhills and immediately switch to the right lower gear to pedal uphill.  As a result, at one point, I was about halfway up a very small but steep hill on too high of a gear, couldn't pedal anymore, and had to stop and walk my bike just a few steps to the top.  An embarrassing lesson to learn - get in the right gear before the hill.

Soon the path leveled out into what looked like a valley, and we rode under large power transformers for a while.


Here, we took a break to catch our breath, drink some water, and watch people pass us.  Mostly runners and other recreational cyclists, but a couple faster cyclists rode past us in their spendex, as well.


At times, we had to cross various roads, some busier than others.  I still haven't mastered the quick start, especially when my bike is in a somewhat higher gear, and can be slow to get going.  A couple of times, drivers who I'm sure thought they were being courteous drove me nutty because they held up traffic (one even though they had the green and I had the red) waiting for me to cross.  I would have much preferred that they just went, so I could decide myself when to cross.  Instead, I struggled to get my bike going in too high of a gear with an audience of impatient car drivers watching.

After leaving the flat area, we rode through some skunk cabbage in full bloom (not pleasant), then past some horse pastures (much better).



There were even a couple bridges to ride over (which I love).


I was worried that on the way back, I'd have the same trouble with getting in the right gear for the small hills, but I switched to my lowest gear in the front when we got there, and found it much easier to get in the right gear (especially for hills), although I probably gave up some speed on the downhills.  But I made it over all the little hills with little effort, and only had to walk up the last very steep hill that J walked up, too (although I made it farther than he did :) ). 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another TED that is worth a watch.

    Bikes and bike helmets.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-TASvIxY&feature=player_embedded

    May 25, 2011 11:22 AM

    ReplyDelete