Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day ride

On Father's Day we went out for a ride with J's parents on the Chehalis Western trail in Lacey.



As usual, we had a great time riding with J's parents.  Their folding Dahons only have one speed, but on flat trails like this one they're able to keep up really well.  They actually did better on the short unpaved part of the trail than I did, and rode over it no problem.


The trail is really well marked, so we knew we'd ridden 6 1/2 miles when we got tired.  We stopped at a clearing where another cyclist had stopped to take in the view.  He was riding a recumbent, and told us that the last time he'd been at this same spot - admittedly a few years ago - there was an old rusting truck in the brush and a cougar on the hillside looking down at him.  We didn't see either (good thing - not sure how I'd react to a cougar), but it was really pretty.


For the last 1 1/2 miles I decided to keep a steady cadence and pedal the rest of the way back - no breaks - and I managed to do it.  Not sure I need to do that when we're out for fun, but it's a nice challenge I might try out on weekday rides.

When we got back to our cars we were definitely tired.  13 miles is a long way when you're doing it under your own power, and it was our longest ride yet.  Even though I felt it, I think we can keep this up and even go for longer rides.  I may work up to an Oregon coast ride yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment