Tuesday, June 21, 2011

More to learn at Cushman

A few weeks back, on a warm afternoon, we headed to Gig Harbor to ride the Cushman trail.


This trail is somewhat momentous to me because it's the first one I rode last year when I complained the entire time, and generally thought I would die.  I learned later that cycling could be much more fun on a flatter path (until I was in better shape) and on a bike and saddle that fit me.  Then this year when we test rode our first bikes, we rode on the Cushman trail, and it confirmed for me that riding was fun when done with the right equipment.

In town, the trail joins with local roads, and there's no separate bike path. I also learned that I really like riding on roads.   There's something about being on pavement that's meant for wheels.  I didn't even mind sharing the road with cars, although I generally gave them a wide berth.

I also confirmed what I'd already guessed - I suck at climbing hills.  Part of the trail is very steep (8% - which feels like a lot!) for quite a ways.  It's fun going down, but painful going back up the other side.  On each hill, I at least got into the right gear to climb (granny!), and made it about halfway up before I had to finish the climb on foot.  I didn't really mind, per se, because it didn't take long before I got back on the bike.  But still - I've got a ways to go.

Along the way, we stopped in at J's grandparents, which was a treat.  They both got on their folding bikes and rode around the parking lot at their complex with us.  We just went round and round with them, but I think we all felt like kids again.

No comments:

Post a Comment